The Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) Apprentice Advance Plus Program (AAPP) provides access to fully subsidised short courses and higher level skills training to apprentices and trainees during their apprenticeship/traineeship and in the first year following the completion of the apprenticeship/traineeship to assist them to be competitive in the job market and gain licenses/competencies for future work.  There are no training fees charged to the students under this program.

Eligible Participants 

  • An Eligible Worker (see definitions below);


  • An Unemployed Eligible Worker (see definitions below)
  • An Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
  • A permanent resident of Australia; or
  • A holder of a refugee or humanitarian visa

(a)  A current active apprentice or trainee in Queensland undertaking a CSQ approved apprenticeship or traineeship as listed on the last page of this application OR

(b) An existing or unemployed eligible worker in the first year out of their CSQ approved apprenticeship or traineeship. You must commence training in short courses within 365 days of the completion date of your apprenticeship/traineeship OR

(c) A cancelled apprentice or trainee that was undertaking a CSQ approved apprenticeship or traineeship that has been cancelled and you are currently accessing State Government funding to complete the institution-based training

  1. An Employee of any Authority (excluding employees of an Indigenous Council that is a Principal Contractor) – Excluding Civil Construction Units;
  2. A contracted trainer or assessor or existing worker of an RTO;
  3. Previously funded under the maximum units in the same contract period;
  4. Funded by an Authority or such other source for delivery of the same training being undertaken as part of this program;
  5. Seeking verification of competency in a unit where competency is already held;
  6. Have completed the same unit before (for example working at heights).

Applications for funded short courses must be supported with copies of 2 forms of ID from the following lists:

  • Full Birth Certificate or Birth Certificate Extract
  • Passport
  • Medicare card (green only) OR
  • Visa (humanitarian or refugee)


  • Queensland Drivers Licence (front and back)
  • Telephone account,
  • bank statement (with amounts blanked out)
  • statement from real estate
  • electricity account
  • Any other formal document with the learner’s name and current residential address (must be a QLD address)

Other documents required:

For participants that are Eligible Workers, a letter from your employer is required detailing length of employment and types of duties undertaken (they must relate to the building and construction industries).

The letter from your employer or pay slip should detail the following. We will also accept your QLeave statement.

  • Name of employer
  • Your job title
  • How long you have been employed with the employer
  • Details of what duties you do that relate to the Building and Construction Industry

Evidence of Apprenticeship/Traineeship documentation required:

To be eligible for additional funding under the Apprenticeship Advance + Program, you need to supply us with evidence of your training contract. Please ensure the following is attached to this application.
  • Apprenticeship/Traineeship commencement letter issued by the Department.
  • Evidence of employment with your employer which details their name, your job title, how long you have been employed and the type of work you do. The evidence from the employer can be:
    • Payslip showing all the above details; or
    • Signed letter from the employer confirming your details; or
    • If self-employed – a copy of an invoice to a client detailing work that relates to construction/building industries; or
    • Current QLeave membership statement; or
    • Statutory declaration where none of the above evidence can be supplied.
  • If you have completed your apprenticeship/traineeship, you must be able to supply evidence by way of one of the following:
    • Completion certificate; or
    • Completion letter; or
    • Formal notification of completion from the Department
  • If you are or have been working on a Major Project, we need evidence from the Principal Contractor to verify you are working on a Major Project. The Principal Contractor must provide a signed letter or other formal document with the following information:
    • Your name and
    • Your job title and
    • The Major Project name and
    • How long you have been and will be on the project
  • If you are an unemployed apprentice/trainee, in the first year out of your apprenticeship/traineeship, you need to provide evidence that you are commencing training within 365 days of completion date recorded by the Department. You must supply at least one of the following
    • Completion letter/certificate from DESBT OR
    • Formal notification from DESBT or other source (eg apprenticeships Australia) advising of completion of apprenticeship/traineeship
  • If you have had your apprenticeship/traineeship cancelled, you need to provide evidence that you are accessing State Government funding to complete the institution-based training. You should have a copy of the training assistance for cancelled apprentices and trainees advice from the Department.


The building and construction industry is the industry of constructing, deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing any

of the following—

(a) buildings;

(b) spa pools and swimming pools;

(c) roads, railways, airfields or other works for the passage of anything;

(d) breakwaters, docks, jetties, piers or wharves;

(e) works for solid waste disposal;

(f) works for subdividing or developing land;

(g) works for the improvement or alteration of a harbour, river or watercourse for navigation purposes;

(h) works for the storage or supply of water or for flood mitigation;

(i) works for the irrigation of land;

(j) works for the conveyance, treatment or disposal of sewage or of the effluent from any premises;

(k) works for extracting, refining, processing or treating materials or for producing or extracting products and by-products from materials;

(l) works for conveying products, by-products or materials;

(m) works for the drainage of land;

(n) works for the storage of liquids, other than water, or gases;

(o) works for the generation, supply or transmission of electric power;

(p) works for telecommunication or for the transmission of radio or television;

(q) bridges, viaducts, aqueducts or tunnels;

(r) chimney stacks, cooling towers, drilling rigs, gas holders or silos;

(s) pipe lines;

(t) navigational lights, beacons or markers;

(u) pile driving works;

(v) sporting or recreational facilities;

(w) earthworks, other than for farming;

(x) fences, other than fences on farms;

(y) structures, fixtures or other works not included in paragraphs (a) to (x), but not including earthworks for farming or fences on farms.


(2) The building and construction industry also includes land clearing and site preparation, other than for farming.


(3) The building and construction industry also includes the industry of, whether on or off site—

  (a) constructing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, in accordance with working drawings; or

  (b) deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, constructed in accordance with working drawings.


(4) The building and construction industry does not include the industry of performing maintenance or repairs of a minor nature to anything mentioned in subsection (1) or (3) for a

person not substantially engaged in activity mentioned in

subsection (1), (2) or (3).

An eligible worker has the same meaning as defined in sections 3A and 3B of the Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991 as amended from time to time.

An Unemployed Eligible worker is a person who has been unemployed for a period of up to, but not greater than 4 years that would otherwise meet the requirements of an Eligible Worker. 

For participants that are Unemployed Eligible Workers, evidence of previous employment in the Building and Construction Industry within the last 4 years is required (for example, separation certificate from previous employer, final pay advice with dates or statutory declaration confirming employment details).  The supporting documentation must contain sufficient detail about the duties that were undertaken whilst employed in the Building and Construction Industry, length of employment and previous job title and contact details of previous employer.

How to Apply

  1. Request a funding application and enrolment form from AIT Office.
  2. Complete the enrolment section of the form – including the courses you want to do.
  3. Supply copies of 2 forms of ID from the lists below.
  4. If you are working, get a signed and dated letter from your employer with details of how long you have been employed, your job title and some dot points about the role you have in relation to the Building/Construction industries OR
  5. If you are not employed, provide us with a Statutory Declaration with details of when you were last employed in a construction role and who with and what sort of work you were doing and/or provide us with a copy of a separation certificate with details of employer and the job you and/or a final pay slip with details of your job and how long you were employed (e.g leave balances).
  6. Email all the documents to OR post the forms to PO Box 4464, Kirwan Qld 4817 OR drop them into our office at 97 Rooney Street, South Townsville.

CSQ Approved Apprenticeships/Traineeships

CodeQualification DescriptionApprenticeship (A) or Traineeship (T)
UEE32211Certificate III in Air-conditioning and RefrigerationA
CPC30111Certificate III in Bricklaying/BlocklayingA
MSF31113Certificate III in Cabinet MakingA
CPC30211Certificate III in CarpentryA
RII30915Certificate III in Civil ConstructionT
RII30815Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant OperationA
RII31215Certificate III in Civil FoundationsT
CPC31211Certificate III in Wall and Ceiling LiningA
CPC30318Certificate III in ConcretingT
CPC31411Certificate III in Construction WaterproofingA
CPC30511Certificate III in DoggingT
UEE30811Certificate III in Electrotechnology ElectricianA
CPC32813Certificate III in Fire ProtectionA
UEE31011Certificate III in Fire Protection ControlA
MSF30818Certificate III in Flooring TechnologyA
CPC32713Certificate III in Gas FittingA
MSF30418Certificate III in Glass and GlazingA
CPC31912Certificate III in JoineryA
AHC30916Certificate III in Landscape ConstructionA
CPC30611Certificate III in Painting and DecoratingA
CPC32413Certificate III in PlumbingA
CPC30711Certificate III in RiggingT
CPC32612Certificate III in Roof PlumbingA
CPC30812Certificate III in Roof TilingA
CPC30911Certificate III in ScaffoldingT
CPC30116Certificate III in ShopfittingA
CPC31011Certificate III in Solid PlasteringA
CPC31111Certificate III in SteelfixingT
CPC32313Certificate III in Stonemasonry (Monumental/Installation)A
RII31615Certificate III in Trenchless TechnologyT
CPC31311Certificate III in Wall and Floor TilingA
CPC32513Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services)A