The Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) Civil Construction Program provides funding for up to five (5) short courses to eligible participants. Participants under this program:

Eligible Participants 

  • An Existing Worker in the Building and Construction Industry (see definitions below);


  • An Eligible Worker (see definitions below);


  • An Unemployed Eligible Worker (see definitions below)
  • An Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
  • A permanent resident of Australia; or
  • A holder of a refugee or humanitarian visa
  1. Currently enrolled and participating in a school program (excluding eligible school-based apprentices and trainees); or
  2. A contracted trainer and assessor or an existing worker of any RTO; or
  3. Previously funded under this program for the maximum number of short courses – Civil Construction in the same contract period; or
  4. Funded by an Authority or such other source for delivery of the same training being undertaken as part of this program; or
  5. Have previously completed the unit of competency; or
  6. Seeking verification of competency or recognition of prior learning for a competency already held

Applications for funded short courses must be supported with copies of 2 forms of ID from the following lists:

  • Full Birth Certificate or Birth Certificate Extract
  • Passport
  • Medicare card (green only) OR
  • Visa (humanitarian or refugee)


  • Queensland Drivers Licence (front and back)
  • Telephone account,
  • bank statement (with amounts blanked out)
  • statement from real estate
  • electricity account
  • Any other formal document with the learner’s name and current residential address (must be a QLD address)

Other documents required:

For participants that are Existing Eligible Workers, a letter from your employer is required detailing length of employment and types of duties undertaken (they must relate to the building and construction industries).

The letter from your employer or pay slip should detail the following. We will also accept your QLeave statement.

  • Name of employer
  • Your job title
  • How long you have been employed with the employer
  • Details of what duties you do that relate to the Building and Construction Industry
  • For self-employed workers, you can supply a copy of an invoice from your company detailing work undertaken for a client.  The invoice must contain your business name and ABN.

For participants that are Unemployed Eligible Workers, evidence of unemployment for a period of not more than 4 years (for example, separation certificate from previous employer; final pay advice with dates, QLeave statement).


The building and construction industry is defined in the Act as the industry of constructing, deconstructing, renovating, reconstructing, altering, demolishing, maintaining or repairing any of the following: –

  1. Buildings
  2. Spa pools and swimming pools
  3. Roads, railways, airfields or other works for the passage of anything;
  4. Breakwaters, docks, jetties, piers or wharves;
  5. Works for solid waste disposal;
  6. Works for subdividing or developing land;
  7. Works for the improvement or alteration of a harbour, river or watercourse for navigation purposes;
  8. Works for the storage or supply of water or for flood mitigation;
  9. Works for the irrigation of land;
  10. Works for the conveyance, treatment or disposal of sewage or of effluent from any premises;
  11. Works for extracting, refining, processing or treating materials or for producing or extracting products and by – products from materials;
  12. Works for conveying products, by – products or materials;
  13. Works for the drainage of land;
  14. Works for the storage of liquids, other than water or gases;
  15. Works for the generation, supply or transmission of electric power;
  16. Works for telecommunication or for the transmission of radio or television;
  17. Bridges, viaducts, aqueducts or tunnels;
  18. Chimney stacks, cooling towers, drilling rigs, gas holders or silos;
  19. Pipe lines;
  20. Navigational lights, beacons or markers;
  21. Pile driving works;
  22. Sporting or recreational facilities;
  23. Earthworks other than farming;
  24. Fences, other than fences on farms.

Any federal, state, local government, state or public authority, authorised to carry out a statutory obligation.
Building and Construction Industry
The building and construction industry is as identified in Clause 3AA of the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991 as amended from time to time (as listed above).

An existing worker who meets the definition of an Eligible worker as defined in the Act. They are usually engaged under a contract of service to perform work in the building and construction industry for the majority of a person’s ordinary hours of

An existing worker is currently employed in the building and construction industry and has been employed for more than 1 month.
The length of service can be through full time, part time or casual employment or engagement as a contract worker.

An Unemployed Eligible worker is a person who has been unemployed for a period of up to, but not greater than 4 years that would otherwise meet the requirements of an Eligible Worker. 

For participants that are Unemployed Eligible Workers, evidence of previous employment in the Building and Construction Industry within the last 4 years is required (for example, separation certificate from previous employer, final pay advice with dates or statutory declaration confirming employment details).  The supporting documentation must contain sufficient detail about the duties that were undertaken whilst employed in the Building and Construction Industry, length of employment and previous job title and contact details of previous employer.

For self-employed workers, you can supply a copy of an invoice from your company detailing work undertaken for a client.  The invoice must contain your business name and ABN.

How to Apply

  1. Request a funding application and enrolment form from AIT Office.
  2. Complete the enrolment section of the form – including the courses you want to do (pages 3-5).
  3. Supply copies of 2 forms of ID from the lists below.
  4. If you are working, get a signed and dated letter from your employer with details of how long you have been employed, your job title and some dot points about the role you have in relation to the Building/Construction industries OR
  5. If you are not employed, provide us with a Statutory Declaration with details of when you were last employed in a construction role and who with and what sort of work you were doing and/or provide us with a copy of a separation certificate with details of employer and the job you and/or a final pay slip with details of your job and how long you were employed (e.g leave balances).
  6. Email all the documents to OR post the forms to PO Box 4464, Kirwan Qld 4817 OR drop them into our office at 97 Rooney Street, South Townsville.