The Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) Civil Specific Program provides funding for a number of different short courses. There are no restrictions on the number of courses you can select provided budget is available to the RTO to provide the training.

 Participants under this program:

Eligible Participants 

  • An Eligible Worker (see definitions below);


  • An Unemployed Eligible Worker (see definitions below)
  • An Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
  • A permanent resident of Australia; or
  • A Visa holder with relevant permission to work in the building and construction industry
  • An employee of an Authority (other than an employee of a local council);
  • Currently enrolled and participating in a secondary school program (school based apprentices/trainees registered in Queensland undertaking approved CSQ apprenticeship/traineeship are excepted);
  • A contracted trainer/assessor working for or on behalf of an RTO;
  • Already funded by an Authority or other source for the same training being undertaken as part of the relevant program (for example through Cert 3 Guarantee or employer funded program);
  • Have completed any of the units previously, whether funded or not;
  • Seeking verification of competency.

Applications for funded short courses must be supported with the following identification and evidence of employment documents.

  • Full Birth Certificate of Birth Certificate Extract (Aust/NZ only);
  • Passport (Aust/NZ only – up to 6 months from expiry);
  • Medicare card (green only);
  • Certificate of Evidence of Residence Status (CERS);
  • Visa with relevant permission to work:


  • QLeave Statement (current statement showing credits within last 4 years);
  • QBCC Licence – must be current and relevant to Building and Construction Industry -see list on page 13;
  • Letter from employer, on letterhead, dated and signed confirming employment, job title and duties that are relevant to the Building and Construction Industry;
  • Pay slip – only if it details your job title, employer and it is clear the duties you undertake are relevant to the Building and Construction Industry;
  • Statutory Declaration providing details of employment including role and duties within the Building and Construction Industry;
  • Separation certificate (if currently unemployed);
  • Workcover certificate or letter covering period of training (if applicable);
  • For self-employed workers – you can provide one of the above OR a copy of your ABN/CAN registration showing ownership and invoices for recent work


The building and construction industry is the industry of constructing, deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing any

of the following—

(a) buildings;

(b) spa pools and swimming pools;

(c) roads, railways, airfields or other works for the passage of anything;

(d) breakwaters, docks, jetties, piers or wharves;

(e) works for solid waste disposal;

(f) works for subdividing or developing land;

(g) works for the improvement or alteration of a harbour, river or watercourse for navigation purposes;

(h) works for the storage or supply of water or for flood mitigation;

(i) works for the irrigation of land;

(j) works for the conveyance, treatment or disposal of sewage or of the effluent from any premises;

(k) works for extracting, refining, processing or treating materials or for producing or extracting products and by-products from materials;

(l) works for conveying products, by-products or materials;

(m) works for the drainage of land;

(n) works for the storage of liquids, other than water, or gases;

(o) works for the generation, supply or transmission of electric power;

(p) works for telecommunication or for the transmission of radio or television;

(q) bridges, viaducts, aqueducts or tunnels;

(r) chimney stacks, cooling towers, drilling rigs, gas holders or silos;

(s) pipe lines;

(t) navigational lights, beacons or markers;

(u) pile driving works;

(v) sporting or recreational facilities;

(w) earthworks, other than for farming;

(x) fences, other than fences on farms;

(y) structures, fixtures or other works not included in paragraphs (a) to (x), but not including earthworks for farming or fences on farms.


(2) The building and construction industry also includes land clearing and site preparation, other than for farming.


(3) The building and construction industry also includes the industry of, whether on or off site—

  (a) constructing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, in accordance with working drawings; or

  (b) deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, constructed in accordance with working drawings.


(4) The building and construction industry does not include the industry of performing maintenance or repairs of a minor nature to anything mentioned in subsection (1) or (3) for a

person not substantially engaged in activity mentioned in

subsection (1), (2) or (3).

The Building and Construction Industry is as identified in Clause 3AA of the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991 as amended from time to time.

An eligible worker has the same meaning as defined in sections 3A and 3B of the Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991 as amended from time to time.

An Unemployed Eligible worker is a person who has been unemployed for a period of up to, but not greater than 4 years that would otherwise meet the requirements of an Eligible Worker. 

For participants that are Unemployed Eligible Workers, evidence of previous employment in the Building and Construction Industry within the last 4 years is required (for example, separation certificate from previous employer, final pay advice with dates or statutory declaration confirming employment details).  The supporting documentation must contain sufficient detail about the duties that were undertaken whilst employed in the Building and Construction Industry, length of employment and previous job title and contact details of previous employer.

How to Apply

  1. Request a funding application and enrolment form from AIT Office.
  2. Complete the enrolment section of the form – including the courses you want to do.
  3. Supply the evidence of employment and right to work in Australia documents as listed above

  4. If you are working, get a signed and dated letter from your employer with details of how long you have been employed, your job title and some dot points about the role you have in relation to the Building/Construction industries OR
  5. If you are not employed, provide us with a Statutory Declaration with details of when you were last employed in a construction role and who with and what sort of work you were doing and/or provide us with a copy of a separation certificate with details of employer and the job you and/or a final pay slip with details of your job and how long you were employed (e.g leave balances).
  6. Email all the documents to OR post the forms to PO Box 4464, Kirwan Qld 4817 OR drop them into our office at 97 Rooney Street, South Townsville.