The Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) General Construction Program provides funding for a number of different short courses.  There is no restriction on the number of short courses you can undertake.  Participants in this program:

Eligible Participants 

  • An Eligible Worker (see definition on page 3);
  • An Unemployed Eligible Worker (see definitions below) and;
  • An Australian or New Zealand citizen; or
  • A permanent resident of Australia; or
  • A holder of a refugee or humanitarian visa and;
  • (a) Permanently reside in Queensland; OR
  • (b) Be permanently employed in Queensland and;
  1. An Employee of any Authority (excluding employees of an Indigenous Council that is a Principal Contractor);
  2. Currently enrolled and participating in a Queensland secondary school program (excluding a school-based Apprentice or Trainee);
  3. A contracted trainer or assessor, or existing worker of an RTO;
  4. Previously funded under the civil construction program for three (3) RIIMPO short courses in the same contract year;
  5. Funded by an Authority or such other course for delivery of the same training being undertaken as part of this program;
  6. Seeking verification of competency in a unit where competency is already held;
  7. Have completed the same unit before (for example working at heights);

Applications for funded short courses must be supported with copies of 2 forms of ID from the following lists:

  • Full Birth Certificate or Birth Certificate Extract
  • Passport
  • Medicare card (green only) OR
  • Visa (humanitarian or refugee)


  • Queensland Drivers Licence (front and back)
  • Telephone account,
  • bank statement (with amounts blanked out)
  • statement from real estate
  • electricity account
  • Any other formal document with the learner’s name and current residential address (must be a QLD address)

Other documents required:

For participants that are Eligible Workers, a letter from your employer is required detailing length of employment and types of duties undertaken (they must relate to the building and construction industries).

The letter from your employer or pay slip should detail the following.We will also accept a copy of your QLeave statement.

  • Name of employer
  • Your job title
  • How long you have been employed with the employer
  • Details of what duties you do that relate to the Building and Construction Industry

For participants that are Unemployed Eligible Workers, evidence of unemployment for a period of not more than 6 months (for example, separation certificate from previous employer; final pay advice with dates) We will also accept your QLeave statement if you have one.

For self-employed workers, you can supply a copy of an invoice from your company detailing work undertaken for a client.

The building and construction industry is defined in the Act as the industry of constructing, de-constructing, renovating, reconstructing, altering, demolishing, maintaining or repairing any of the following:-

The building and construction industry is the industry of constructing, deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing any

of the following—

(a) buildings;

(b) spa pools and swimming pools;

(c) roads, railways, airfields or other works for the passage of anything;

(d) breakwaters, docks, jetties, piers or wharves;

(e) works for solid waste disposal;

(f) works for subdividing or developing land;

(g) works for the improvement or alteration of a harbour, river or watercourse for navigation purposes;

(h) works for the storage or supply of water or for flood mitigation;

(i) works for the irrigation of land;

(j) works for the conveyance, treatment or disposal of sewage or of the effluent from any premises;

(k) works for extracting, refining, processing or treating materials or for producing or extracting products and by-products from materials;

(l) works for conveying products, by-products or materials;

(m) works for the drainage of land;

(n) works for the storage of liquids, other than water, or gases;

(o) works for the generation, supply or transmission of electric power;

(p) works for telecommunication or for the transmission of radio or television;

(q) bridges, viaducts, aqueducts or tunnels;

(r) chimney stacks, cooling towers, drilling rigs, gas holders or silos;

(s) pipe lines;

(t) navigational lights, beacons or markers;

(u) pile driving works;

(v) sporting or recreational facilities;

(w) earthworks, other than for farming;

(x) fences, other than fences on farms;

(y) structures, fixtures or other works not included in paragraphs (a) to (x), but not including earthworks for farming or fences on farms.


(2) The building and construction industry also includes land clearing and site preparation, other than for farming.


(3) The building and construction industry also includes the industry of, whether on or off site—

(a) constructing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, in accordance with working drawings; or

(b) deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing a thing, other than ordinary stock for sale, constructed in accordance with working drawings.


(4) The building and construction industry does not include the industry of performing maintenance or repairs of a minor nature to anything mentioned in subsection (1) or (3) for a

person not substantially engaged in activity mentioned in

subsection (1), (2) or (3).

The Building and Construction Industry is as identified in Clause 3AA of the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991 as amended from time to time.

An eligible worker has the same meaning as defined in sections 3A and 3B of the Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991 as amended from time to time.

An Unemployed Eligible worker is a person who has been unemployed for a period not greater than 4 years that would otherwise meet the requirements of an Eligible Worker.


You are NOT eligible for funding in these programs if you are:

(i) in a managerial, clerical, professional or ancillary capacity in the building and construction industry; or

(ii) under a contract of service with a partnership if the individual is a partner and participates in the management of the partnership or shares in its profits; or

(iii) under a contract of service with a government entity or a local government; or

(iv) engaged under a contract of service with a non-Queensland government entity; or

(v) working within the meaning of the Coal Mining Industry (Long Service Leave) Administration Act 1992 (Cwlth), section 39A(2)

(vi) working for a government entity, local authority, Mount Isa Mines or not substantially engaged in the building and construction industry.

How to Apply

  1. Request a funding application and enrolment form from AIT Office.
  2. Complete the enrolment section of the form – including the courses you want to do.
  3. Supply copies of 2 forms of ID from the lists below.
  4. If you are working, get a signed and dated letter from your employer with details of how long you have been employed, your job title and some dot points about the role you have in relation to the Building/Construction industries OR
  5. If you are not employed, provide us with a Statutory Declaration with details of when you were last employed in a construction role and who with and what sort of work you were doing and/or provide us with a copy of a separation certificate with details of employer and the job you and/or a final pay slip with details of your job and how long you were employed (e.g leave balances).
  6. Email all the documents to OR post the forms to PO Box 4464, Kirwan Qld 4817 OR drop them into our office at 97 Rooney Street, South Townsville.