Workers and supervisors must be appropriately trained and hold certification for the Vocational Educational Training (VET) course appropriate to the class of asbestos being removed.
A ‘class A’ asbestos removal licence is for businesses removing any amount of friable asbestos (material that contains asbestos and is in a powder form or that can be crumbled, pulverised or reduced to a powder by hand pressure when dry).
Class A licence holders must ensure the removal of friable asbestos is directly supervised by a nominated supervisor.
Nominated supervisors for class A asbestos removal work must
- be at least 18 years old
- have at least three years of relevant industry experience following the completion of the relevant qualification
- have certification in CPCCDE3015A Remove friable asbestos and CPCCBC4051A Supervise asbestos removal.
Class A licence holders are also authorised to carry out class B asbestos removal work.
Learners must hold CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry (White Card) competency to be able to do this course. Participants must be able to supply a copy of a Statement of Attainment for CPCCWHS1001 or its predecessor CPCCOHS1001A.
We cannot accept the white card as the evidence of completing the pre-requisite unit.
The course covers:
- Work instructions and asbestos removal plans
- PPE and tools used in removal of non-friable asbestos
- Determining what is/isn’t friable asbestos
- How to safely remove friable asbestos
- Signage and barricade requirements
- Decontamination procedures
- Isolation of site
- Containment of asbestos and safe disposal
- Regulatory requirements and documentation
CSQ funding available for eligible participants only.